A study of the book of Acts one was recorded September 20, 2020 with Pastor Aaron Lapp.
Sermon Discussion Questions for Acts 1
- The Book of Acts is often called a “bridge” between the gospels and the rest of the New Testament. What is meant by this and why is it so important?
- Just before His ascension into heaven, Jesus told His disciples to return to Jerusalem and “wait” for the promise of the Father; the baptism of the Holy Spirit. How good of a “waiter” are you especially when you are waiting for something good?
- Has there ever been a time when you interpreted someone else’s “waiting” as procrastination?
- Has someone ever accused you of just doing nothing when you were actually waiting on God?
- How does receiving the Holy Spirit differ to being baptized in the Holy Spirit? (see verse 8)
- The disciples asked Jesus if He would now restore the Kingdom to Israel. Jesus replied that it was not for them to know the times or the seasons for this event. Why do you think Jesus answered in this way?
- Perhaps the disciples were still looking for a restored Kingdom in hopes that they would receive power and authority. Ultimately, they do receive power and authority. Explain what is meant by this.
- Jesus had just told the disciples to go back to Jerusalem and yet they stood gazing up after He ascended. In fact, it took the appearance to two angels to get them moving. What does it take to get your feet moving when Jesus has said go?
- After returning to Jerusalem to “wait”, Peter, after waiting a couple days, decides they must replace Judas. After praying and asking God to reveal which of the two men He would chose, they cast lots and decided. Why do you think they proceeded in this way?
- Jesus told them they would be His witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth. As we study through the books of Acts we will see this is exactly what happened. Where is your Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria?
- Important: Through this study, what is the Holy Spirit challenging you to do this week? How do you need to obey this?