A study of the book of Acts five was recorded October 25, 2020 with Pastor Aaron Lapp.
Sermon Discussion Questions for Acts 5
- Think of a time when you were under someone else’s authority. What did that look like and how did you respond to that authority? What was the result when you rejected their authority?
- In verses 1 and 2, what sin were Ananias and Sapphira guilty of?
- Why do you think God dealt so harshly with them as a result?
- Perhaps Ananias used language that wasn’t exactly a lie but more of a half-truth. Is a half-truth as bad as an outright lie? Explain your answer.
- There were two voices speaking to Ananias and Sapphria in this story, the Holy Spirit (who likely encouraged them to sell their possession and give the money in the first place) and Satan (who tried to convince them to secretly keep back some of the money). Which way were they persuaded? Why?
- What is your defense against the enticing words of Satan? See James 4:7. What are the two steps?
- In verse 11, when the people saw what happened to Ananias and Sapphria, great fear came upon them. What is the difference between being scared and fear of the Lord?
- The Lord sent an angel to set the disciples free from prison but he left the gates locked and the guards in place. Why do you think he did this? Why not leave the gates swung wide open and just take the guards out?
- We see over and over that the Lord works in different ways at different times but Hebrews 13:8 says that Jesus is the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow? How do you reconcile these two?
- In verses 34-39 we see Gamaliel stand up and offer some advice. What made Gamaliel different than the other members of the Sanhedrin? What do you think accounts for this difference?
- Read 1 Samuel 3:4-12. What Does Solomon ask of the Lord? Why is it more valuable then riches?
- Important: Through this study, what is the Holy Spirit challenging you to do this week? How do you need to obey this?